Thursday, June 2, 2011

Half-Circle Skirt

 Sewing progress! I couldn't help myself in making it look 50s-tastic. I was fully intending to go outside and take advantage of the beautiful light, but I lack a photographer. Perhaps later, or tomorrow morning before Ben leaves for work.


  I fully intended to make this a full circle skirt, but basic math apparently escapes me, and I ended up cutting out a half circle with my waist measurement. I was pretty frustrated with myself until I held up the offending geometric shape and Ben commented that it actually looked pretty good. I made it up and am  pretty pleased with the result.

 



I like the way that the stripes behave around the skirt, I was pretty anal about lining up the pieces before I cut out the pattern (with the intent that the halves would match up). The skirt is a single piece, sewn together in the back with a zipper closure. I'd like to say that I did a good deal of hand sewing, but that would be a lie. I hand sewed the waistband facing to the skirt (with stitch-in-the-ditch fantasticness), and got halfway around the hem before admitting defeat and whipping out the Viking.

The shoes are my new splurge, I think that the little bows are adorable. We are going to ignore how many stripe motifs I am wearing at once. I'm hoping to do a real photoshoot with this skirt at some point, when I have my hair all done up and don't look like I just got out of my pajamas (which I just had, by the way) as well as showing some of the construction of the skirt.

The Secretary dress is nearing completion - I have all of the darts sewn, major seams done, all that I need to do is do a good round of pressing and sew the bodice pieces together and then join it to the skirt. It's coming along well, I am glad that I cut a size 6 as opposed to an 8. It fits almost perfectly with no modifications, something that is almost never true of modern patterns.

I have my fingers crossed that the weather stays nice, we had one heck of a storm last night (I had to run home through it, my first step ended up being knee-deep in a puddle in the parking lot). Western Mass got slammed with a tornado - my thoughts are with those who suffered harm (bodily or otherwise) in it.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a pretty skirt! Love the way the stripes look and the fun colors. :)

    ReplyDelete